Breaking News
Home / War / Defense Sec. Mattis: North Korea’s ‘Reckless’ Actions Must Be Stopped

Defense Sec. Mattis: North Korea’s ‘Reckless’ Actions Must Be Stopped

U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Friday that North Korea’s “reckless” actions must be stopped.

Speaking beside British Defense Minister Michael Fallon at a London press conference, Mattis alluded to North Korea’s growing nuclear weapon and missile programs in response to a reporter’s question on Iran.

“At the time when I spoke about Iran, I was the commander of the U.S. Central Command and that was the primary exporter of terrorism… the primary state sponsor of terrorism and it continues that kind of behavior today, but in the larger scheme of things… the North Korean threat, this is a threat of both rhetoric and growing capability,” he said.

The issue, Mattis asserted, is currently being weighed with the assistance of allies as well as the United Nations.

“We will be working with the international community to address this, we’re doing so right now, we’re working through the United Nations, we’re working with our allies, and we’re working diplomatically including with those that we might be able to enlist in this effort to get North Korea under control,” he said.

“But right now it appears to be going in a very reckless manner in what its conduct is portraying for the future, and that’s got to be stopped.”

Mattis’ comments come only one week after U.S. defense officials say North Korea carried out its latest missile engine test.

Satellite images from March 25, analyzed by Washington-based think tank “38 North” Tuesday, may also indicate that North Korea is in the final stages of preparations for a sixth nuclear test.

The think tank concluded that numerous factors presented in the photographs “strongly suggests that test preparations are well underway,” but cautioned there was no definitive evidence of a nuclear device being present at the Punggye-ri Nuclear Test Site.

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson stated earlier this month that the policy of “strategic patience” has ended, noting that all options, including military, are now on the table.

“Certainly, we do not want things to get to a military conflict… but obviously, if North Korea takes actions that threatens the South Korean forces or our own forces, then that would be met with an appropriate response,” Tillerson said. “If they elevate the threat of their weapons program to a level that we believe that requires action, that option is on the table.”

Share Button

About Mikael Thalen

Mikael Thalen is an investigative journalist covering foreign policy, information security and digital surveillance. His reports have been cited by sites such as the New York Times, Computerworld, International Business Times and the Drudge Report. How to contact Mikael securely: https://keybase.io/mikaelthalen

Check Also

Russian Bombers Fly Near Alaskan Coast for Second Day in a Row

Russian bombers flew off the Alaskan coast for a second time this week, coming within ...

8 comments

  1. Very informative article. Thanks for this.

  2. I will share about how to make money on the internet by way of an online business, read more https://goo.gl/ea0xKF

  3. Nice Blog ! Thanks for Sharing this Article

  4. Great article,thank you so much.

  5. October 18, 1994 Remarks on the Nuclear Agreement With North Korea William J. Clinton

    Good afternoon. I am pleased that the United States and North Korea yesterday reached agreement on the text of a framework document on North Korea’s nuclear program. This agreement will help to achieve a longstanding and vital American objective: an end to the threat of nuclear proliferation on the Korean Peninsula. This agreement is good for the United States, good for our allies, and good for the safety of the entire world. It reduces the danger of the threat of nuclear spreading in the region. It’s a crucial step toward drawing North Korea into the global community.

    http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=49319

  6. j’avais l’honneur de visiter le blog.

  7. Just like every year, Apple is all set to release their brand new operating system iOS 11 in June during the WWDC 2017 event. Check this website to know everything about the upcoming operating system. https://ios11buzz.com/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *